Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Week Eight: Don't Slip Back

This week's call will focus on today's (11/23) CYL Daily Bible reading:

Ezekiel detailed the path the Israelites entered the Temple, compared to how they left it. If they came in the north entrance, they were to leave by the south entrance. Why? So they would leave DIFFERENT! The Word of God, our time alone with him is intended to CHANGE us--we are to leave that time different than when we came to it (and to God), yes?

I Peter 1:13 and 14 says, "So think clearly and exercise self-control...Don't slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires."

When you think about this year, do you see progress and growth? Do you sense your quiet time with God changing you EVERY TIME?

Please post your answers!!

Be encouraged,

Becky

7 comments:

  1. Yesterday and todays reading were enriching. I Peter 1:15" But you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy." this tags onto Becky's. Sets a standard doesn't it. Ezekiel 48:8 ..the Temple at the center" this struck me, as if God was saying to me. Am I at the center of your life? Then in Psalm 119:58 " With all my heart I want your blessings, be merciful as you promised." I am thankful for God bringing me to this group. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving ya all! Hope to make the call today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat thoughts and verses, Robbie. Thanks. Bev B from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, every time you give our talk on Wednesday, I've already been thinking about the same things on Monday and Tuesday.
    Happened again.
    I like the visual of going in to the gym to change things, and coming out 'different.'
    The last many months of financial stress, plus 25 years of ballet have left me with a lot of physical problems. Yesterday I determined to step up the efforts to gain some strength back.
    My body isn't handling anything well lately and I feel terrible. I don't want stress to "win".

    The example of the Temple was also very helpful.
    I need to take better notes, seeing what God says to me in the CYL daily reading. But I also need to take back my time from giving way too much to my jobs. I need to give much more to Him and less to worldly pressures (which are also making me feel sick).
    I appreciate the call. I know my posts often sound like a broken record, but I truly am seeing those small changes add up to bigger results.
    And am thankful for all of you, and especially Becky on this Thanksgiving 2010.
    Love,
    Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry I missed the call, listened to it today and wow is it good. While I was reading my cyl bible this morning, I thought the same way Becky was talking about. I do expect God to speak to me. In Daniel, break from your past..2 Peter 1:6 Supplement your faith with self control. (the entire reading was good) Ps 119: How sweet your words taste to me; they are sweeter than honey."
    I am grateful for Becky, this group, and most importantly serving a God who changes me in the way he wants me to go. So instead of getting anxious over this month I am going to pray specifically for strength to leave through the south gate, dropping the short comings, sin and problems. I feel so much better knowing that God can and will continue to pour his Holy Spirit on me guiding my feet and giving me a light for my path. AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a lot out of the NT reading for 11/27.
    It talks about the progression of faith to moral excellence, which leads to knowing God better, which leads to self control. That goes on to patient endurance and godliness then to love for other Christians and ultimately everyone. v8 says "The more you grow like this the more you will become productive and useful in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."
    The whole passage in II Peter 1 is wonderful, but I thought this was very applicable to what we are trying to do through this course.
    Have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am amazed at how timely the readings are in the CYL Bible. Each day there is a passage that speaks to me and what is going on in my life. That is the Living Word! When you had us read Hebrews 12 for inspiration last week, that really spoke deeply to me. And, of course, it was then read at Church last Sunday, and then yesterday, at Moms In Touch, one of the moms talked about that same passage. I love it when this happens, and it seems to happen all the time! God is speaking, I am listening. I am changing little by little, one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cleared some time out of the schedule, ready to start 20/20/20 and the reading of Luke!

    ReplyDelete