This week--near the end of the year and end of the quarter--it is time to ask yourself, "What do I need to do to follow through." A good reporter will ask and then answer, in order to provide his or her readers with the most succinct information, these questions:
"Who, what, when, where, why..."
This is your assignment this week, as you continue building a lifestyle of "Pray 20, Plan 20, and Play 20," to ask yourself these questions, like a good reporter.
1. Who can help me reach my goals...who can keep me accountable? THIS IS HUGE!
2. Get to the bottom of what you need to do to RIGHT NOW and in 2011 to become healthier, more focused, less stressed, become more content, etc.) WRITE a statement or make a bullet list and post them in your Bible or Prayer Notebook and make them prayer requests!
3. Determine exactly how long it is going to take to accomplish the desires of your heart. Then decide when you will take the first, second, third, fourth, and/or multiple steps it will take to accomplish your goal(s). (Time waits for you; it's not going anywhere!)
4. Where do I most often "fall off the wagon?" Is it with certain people, at certain times of the day, etc. Make every effort, whenever possible, to avoid those things, people, or places that keep you from being healthy and whole.
5 Why do you want to change? Write out a statement of conviction.
Let's ALL do this! As our year/quarter comes to a close, I look forward to hearing from each of you, at least ONE of the answers to the above questions! OKAY?
Be encouraged,
Becky
Okay, so I'm not good at blogging! But, I did much better at reading God's Word this last week. I think it helped to be challenged to read something specific (Luke). While reading, I was struck with a few phrases, some similar. In Luke 1:77,78 Zacharias proclaimed "Salvation ... because of the tender mercy of our God." Then in Luke 5:8,9, and 26 the phrases "amazement had seized him" (Peter after a great catch of fish) and "they were all seized with astonishment" (the people after the paralytic had been healed). I want that in my relationship with the Lord, to be "seized with amazement and astonishment!"
ReplyDeleteAs I read Becky's post for this week, I think the one thing that would be helpful for me is to have someone nearby to hold me accountable. As a single parent (via adoption), life gets so busy and crazy, that it is easy to not accomplish some goals but whenever I've had someone "check up on me" it has been helpful. You're right, Becky, it IS huge!
Great call today.
ReplyDeleteI'm putting a high value on the idea that even if it is the end of the day, I need to do my daily devotional reading before I hit the pillow.
Why I can spend an hour on TV and not that is beyond me! And as I have said before, I need to separate devotional reading/Prayer from doing my Bible study homework.
For those of us not able to take the Bible reading course, but planning to take HA Women, I would love to stay connected as accountability partners for doing the daily prayer and reading.
Julie, I am putting "seized with amazement and astonishment" in my Luke journal. God is amazing how he works. I prayed that my husband would be open to going to church with me and before I had a chance to talk to him about the plan, his sister called and said How about you and Robbie come up (they live 2 hours from us) and go to church with us and then we will get some lunch afterwards. We had called to see when we could get together before Dec 17th. My husband responded quite positively we would love to join you for church, save a seat for us. Expect that God will show up and we will be astonished. AMEN
ReplyDeleteLaura, I am with you, if you haven't read the reading of the day then don't go to sleep until you do. Crazy but this last week I have been a day off. Funny but today at the doctors office I wrote Dec 7th and they said its the 8th. I couldn't believe how I could be a day off. So before I call it quits for the day I will need to read Luke 8 and Dec 8th reading. Glad I heard the call today and just didn't push it aside. Be obedient to God. The rewards are many. I do my bible studies(CBS,Beth Moore etc) in chunks of time not as a daily devotion. I like having both but put the CYL bible as my consistent daily workout.
I am printing this assignment out. It has tons of practical application to keep the course. I think it was Mickey who coined the phrase "from now on" so when we get off track don't keep falling. Figure out what is the problem and make course correction. I really liked what Becky had to say about don't let yourself sink down with overeating, overspending. etc. I am going to listen to her again. Great truths and encouragement.
Keep the Faith Don't lose heart doing what God wants for us.
Thanks Robbie.
ReplyDeleteYou got me to thinking too, that I can often get my BSF or other study homework done in three days, and usually do not have to spend seven on them.
I have another Christian author who sends Emails asking "Where are you reading today?" I know I need to do it, and get the prayer in there as well. I know if our lives are not built on that very solid foundation, we will crumble. And He hasnt given us His word so that we cannot tend to it unless we *are* in a Bible study. I'm trying to make myself understand that it's day to day living where I should be giving out what He has given to me.
Thanks for reminding us of Mickey's phrase (thank you Mickey) and Julie you *are* good at blogging! Thank you for your post!
And sorry to be long winded, but I have been considering doing some writing and have found several universities which offer free online writing courses. I am considering that plan, after hearing today's call. One of the schools is the school I received my degree from in 1982. Now wouldnt that be something!
Reading and studying this year has been my most remarkable achievement. My learning has been grand and I expect to continue this in 2011.
ReplyDeleteMy profession keeps me on the computer during the day, so blogging at home has not been at the top of my list of things to do.
However, I have signed up for the year-long bible study as well as the other session. So, I expect to improve in all areas readying, studying, and sharing with you.
I just listened to the call and it was great. Thank you Becky! I was away in NYC last week and I couldn't wait to get home! It literally made me sick to my stomach to see the over consumption and all the unhealthy people. Most seemed so unhappy...and your call is a slap in the face to get disciplined and get moving and get a plan. I am so thankful for the peace and quiet I had today to really reflect and think about some things for the year ahead. I will not fall off the wagon! I need my quiet everyday. Thank you Lord for eyes to see and ears to hear the message you are giving us through your servant Becky. Amen.
ReplyDeleteI will be out of town for a few days so I won't be able to post. I choose to walk by anything that has sugar. I was glad for what Becky said about reading the bible everyday even if it is before you get in bed. We got up early to meet my husbands sister at her church 2 hours from our home. The day was difficult my sister in law has cancer and it doesn't look good. Having gone through chemo therapy myself I know the hard road she is in for. Becky's voice came into my head. You only get a chip for everyday being sober not here and there. So I read my bible before jumping into bed. So glad I did, had a very peaceful sleep to a pretty stressful day. Got to get packed have a great week and I will write when I get back. Stay the course, it has great rewards.
ReplyDelete